PS2 Online FAQS

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 24/10/2008, 08:54

King of Kings

Group:
Staff

PS2 Online FAQ

When I first started the "PS2 Online FAQ" back in July 2002, I never knew it would grow to be this large. Once the Network Adaptor hit store shelves in late August 2002, I got a flood of e-mails from people who were having trouble getting his or her PlayStation 2 online -- and a steady flow of people have been coming back to this page ever since. To date, more than five hundred thousand people have viewed this guide.

As a result, I think it is time that I updated the "FAQ" and make it easier for people to find what he or she is looking for. I'd like to thank everyone who has sent in his or her comments and suggestions. If you have your own question, send it to [email protected] with "online faq" in the subject line. However, please READ the entire guide before you ask me anything or your request will be ignored.

- The Basics

1. What kind of monthly fee should I expect to play PS2 games online?

None. Sony Computer Entertainment America says that its own games will be free (i.e. Amplitude, SOCOM II, Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, etc.), however, Sony doesn't want to lose potential online games to the Xbox or Gamecube, so 3rd party companies can charge gamers if they want to. For example, if Electronic Arts decided that it is not making enough money on Madden NFL sales, it could ask people to pay $5 per month to play Madden online. However, something like that is very, very unlikely, so there is no need to worry.

The good news is that the only games that won't be free are online RPG's such as Final Fantasy XI ($12.95/month), EverQuest Online Adventures, and EverQuest Online Adventures: Frontiers. Online RPG's are expensive for companies to create and run, so it is nearly impossible for Square Enix and Sony to offer them without a monthly free. Other genres will stay FREE.

2. Which ISPs work best with getting my PS2 Online?

Nearly every major ISP (Internet Service Provider) in the United States and Canada will work with the Network Adapter. If you use AOL dial-up, AOL DSL, Earthlink, AT&T Worldnet, Comcast, Prodigy, Shaw, or Sympatico, then you will have an easier time getting online with your PS2. If you subscribe to a very small or local ISP, then it is less likely to work with the PlayStation 2.

This does NOT mean that if you have a "no-name" ISP, it won't work with the Network Adaptor. If you have a lesser-known provider, we suggest calling or e-mailing them regarding the PlayStation 2 Network Adaptor before going out and purchasing one. Or you can go and subscribe to a larger ISP, such as Comcast.

Note: As of this update, AOL Cable Broadband still does not work with PlayStation 2 Online or Microsoft Xbox Live service. AOL DSL works though (for more info on AOL DSL, please see the broadband section of this guide). Free/cheap ISPs such as Juno and Netzero 3G do not work either. ISPs such as Juno and Netzero rely on banner ads and special software that MUST be installed on your PC. When you play your PS2 online, there is no way for them to deliver the banner ads to you. Hence, they lose money and there is no way to get the ISP software onto your PS2.

3. I don't own a computer. Can I use the PS2 to go online for free after I buy the Network Adaptor?

No, you still need to subscribe to an ISP (Internet Service Provider) first. Also, you need a PlayStation 2 compatible browser, which probably isn't going to be released in North America. Sony Computer Entertainment America has promised a PS2 internet browser since 2002, but has failed to deliver. To just play games (not surf the net) you need the Network Adapter and an ISP. For the last time, NO COMPUTER IS REQUIRED!

Update: If you purchase a network adaptor and a PlayStation 2 hard disk drive, you can use your PS2 for e-mail via PlayOnline (no monthly fee is required for PlayOnline). This is nice for families who cannot afford a computer, but want to be able to use e-mail.

4. Can I use third-party equipment to play my PS2 online so that I don't need an Official PlayStation 2 Network Adapter?

Yes, but I don't recommend using them. They are less likely to work with newer PS2 games. For example, SOCOM 2 only works with the official PS2 Network Adaptor. After all, Sony prefers that you purchase its adaptor, instead of a 3rd party one. And more and more games are only working with the official adaptor. Just save yourself the hassle and pick-up the official adaptor ($30 to $40). Or you can get a built-in adaptor for free by purchasing the new slim PlayStation 2. Note: I can no longer provide technical support for USB adaptors. Do not e-mail me about them.

5. What type of keyboard and mouse do I need to use with my PS2?

Any USB keyboard and mouse. All modern PCs have USB keyboards and mice, so you can just use those if you want. Most USB keyboards sell for $14.99 to $19.99 (if it's higher than $20, you're probably getting ripped off unless it is wireless). Just make sure you DO NOT get a PS/2 compatible mouse. "PS/2" (note the forward slash) is not the same as "PS2" or "PlayStation 2".

Update: Not all games support a keyboard and/or mouse. However, there is a device called SmartJoy FRAG that allows you to use a keyboard and mice for any PS2 title. Very popular with SOCOM II players. click here . You can read my review of this item in the 'Review' section of this site.

6. What do I need to install the Network Adapter? Do I need any screw drivers or any other tools?

All you need is a nickel or another coin to screw the Network Adaptor into the expansion bay. Update: The new smaller and more slim PS2 comes with built-in network card. No installation is required, but it does NOT support a hard drive.

7. How much space do I need on my memory card to use the Network Adapter?

Luckily, it's not 2MB like with the DVD drivers. All you need is 137KB of free space on your memory card to store your configuration data. Note: Your network configuration data can only be used on the PlayStation 2 that it was created on. You cannot take your memory card and go over to a friend's house and use your config info -- even if your friend has the exact same Internet Service Provider and setup as you.

8. Do I have to put in the start-up disc every time I want to go online?

No, of course not. The settings are saved onto your memory card. If you lose your start-up disc, or if you bought a used network adaptor and it did not come with a start-up disc, do not worry. Every PlayStation 2 online game has its own network configuration wizard.

9. Can I take rented games online or do I have enter in a serial number that only allows that specific game to work with one PS2?

Rented games work just fine.

10. Is a USB keyboard or mouse required to play online?

No. They just make things a lot easier for most games.

11. Has anyone else made a network adaptor designed for the PS2 besides Sony?

Yes, but we no longer recommend them. Just save yourself the trouble and purchase an official Network Adaptor ($30 - $40). Update: I cannot provide support for unofficial network adapters. Also, the new smaller and more slim PS2 has a built-in network card for both dial-up and ethernet (broadband) connections.

12. Is it normal for a brief orange light to appear inside the vents of my PS2 when I start up my network adapter?

Yes, this is normal. When you get the PS2 hard drive, you see the orange light appear every time that the HDD is being read, much like on a desktop computer or laptop.

13. Can people hack into my PS2 while I am playing it online?

No, there isn't really any useful information on your PlayStation 2 anyway. And no, they can't gain control of your character while you are playing either.

14. Can you list all of the games that can/will go online?

This is not a complete list:

All-Star Baseball 2005 (2 Players) *
Amplitude (1-4 Players)
Area 51 (N/A; not in stores)
ATV Offroad Fury 2 (2-4 Players)
Auto Modellista (8 Players Max) *
Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest (4 Players Max) *
Chessmaster (2 Players)
Deer Hunter (4 Players Max) *
Destruction Derby Arenas (20 Players Max) *
ESPN College Hoops (10 Players Max)
ESPN NFL 2K5 *
ESPN NBA Basketball (10 Players Max)
ESPN NHL Hockey (8 Players Max)
ESPN Major League Baseball (2 Players Max) * EverQuest: Online Adventures (3000 Players)
EverQuest: Online Adventures Frontiers (3000 Players)
FIFA 2004 (2 Players)
Fight Night 2004 (2 Players)
Final Fantasy XI (3000+ Players) [HDD Required]
Frequency (2-4 Players)
Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm
Gran Turismo 4 *
Hot Shots Golf Fore! (50 Players per Tournament) *
James Bond: Everything or Nothing (2 Players)[Headset] *
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2 Players) *
Madden NFL 2003 (2 Players)
Madden NFL 2004 (2 Players)
Madden NFL 2005 (2 Players)[Headset]
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Midnight Club II (8 Players Max) *
Midnight Club 3 *
MLB 2005 (2 Players)
MLB Slugfest: Loaded (2 Players) *
Mortal Kombat: Deception *?
MTX: Mototrax (8 Players Max)
MVP Baseball 2004 (2 Players)
My Street (4 Players)
NASCAR Thunder 2004 (2 Players)
NBA Ballers (2 Players) *
NBA Live 2004 (2 Players)
NBA Live 2005 (2 Players)
NCAA Football 2005 (2 Players)
Need for Speed: Underground (4 Players Max) *
Need for Speed: Underground 2 *
NFL Street (2 Players)
NHL 2004 (8 Players)
Rainbow Six 3 (6 Players) *
Resident Evil Outbreak (4 Players) *
Risk: Global Domination (6 Players)
Serious Sam: The Next Encounter (8 Players) *
Sims: Bustin' Out, The (2 Players)
SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals (16 Players)[Headset] *
SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (16 Players)[Headset] *
SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy Seals (32 Players)[Headset] *
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (4 Players)[Headset] *
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (4 Players) *
SSX 3 (2 Players)
Star Wars: Battlefront (16 Players Max) *
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (4 Players Max) *
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk Underground (8 Players)
Tony Hawk Underground 2
Tribes Aerial Assault (2-16 Players, 24 on certain servers)
Twisted Metal: Black Online (8 Players Max)
Warhammer 40000: Fire Warrior (8 Players Max) *
XIII (4 Players) *

* Broadband Connection Required

15. Is it true that some PS2 units have trouble working with the Network Adapter?

A very, very rare number of PlayStation 2's do not work with the Network Adaptor, especially considering that there are millions of North American PS2's out there. Here are the list of serial numbers:

3369556-3369651
3372352-3372651
3379084-3380151
3380260-3381867
3381976-3382083
3383152-3383691
3384652-3385191
3386152-3386907
3388192-3389271
3391084-3392055
3393868-3394407
3394516-3394731
3397192-3398055
3399868-3400947
3403192-3403839
3404692-3405339
3406192-3406515
3406624-3406839
3414661-3416388
3417661-3418740
3419173-3419280
3419821-3419928
3420661-3421308
3421417-3421524
3421633-3422064
3423661-3424848
3425161-3425268
3434377-3434592

To find the serial number, look onto the back of your console. If you have any of the numbers listed above, call SCEA technical support @ "1-800-345-SONY".

16. Which PS2 games only allow broadband connections to play online?

Please see question #14 for a list of games. If the game you are looking for is not on the list, feel free to e-mail me and I will tell you if it requires broadband or not. Final Fantasy XI does not require a broadband connection, but it takes about 5-6 hours to download updates on dial-up. You only need to download the 5 hour update when you first get the game though. Updates after that typically only take 1-2 hours to download on dial-up. Note: Games that are only broadband compatible have grey "Broadband Only" boxes on the front cover. Needless to say, it is easy to identify a broadband only game.

17. Is it normal for the Network Adaptor to change the function of my PS2's reset button?

Yes. Resetting the system with the network adaptor attached can damage the unit. So it just puts it to sleep instead. Note: You must hold the reset button longer than usual WHILE the Network Adaptor is activated. You should hold it for 6 to 10 seconds before the system will go to sleep. If the Network Adaptor is not in use, then the reset button will function normally.

18. Does the SOCOM headset work with other games?

Yes, it works with Madden NFL 2005, SOCOM II, SOCOM 3, SSX 3, Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest, Medal of Honor Rising Sun, Karaoke Revolution, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, NFL Street, James Bond: Everything or Nothing and much more. NOTE: Not all of the games listed above can go online. SOCOM headset can also be used with a PC running Windows XP.

19. Can I use the network adapter that came with my PS2 Linux Kit to play games online?

Yes.

20. I have an ISP that requires me to input a username and password. Will I still be able to play PS2 games online?

On the Network Adapter set-up disc, it will ask you if you need a user name and password. Just enter in your info and you're all set. Note: In order to get it to work, some ISPs may require you to enter in your full username with the domain name (i.e. [email protected] or [email protected])

21. What is DNAS?

DNAS (Dynamic Network Authentication System) is a proprietary authentication system developed by the folks at Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. in Japan. It checks to see the game you are using is not a DVD-R or CD-R copy of a PS2 game. Not only does it check the software, but it also checks your hardware (it can possibly check for cheat devices or mod-chips). For example, if you've been banned from SOCOM II for cheating, this system will stop you from logging in. The data is then sent back to Sony Computer Entertainment America.

22. Can I use my SOCOM headset with my desktop or laptop computer?

Yes. Windows XP will automatically detect the USB headset and install drivers for it.

23. Does the network adaptor package come with a web browser?

No, and it probably never will.

24. I have a network config file saved onto my memory card. When I try and use the configuration file on my friend's PS2, it won't work!

When you create a network configuration file, it only works on the PlayStation 2 that you used to create it, even if the PS2 has the same ISP, router, etc.

25. I lost my Network Adaptor start-up disc. Where can I get another one?

If you lose your start-up disc, or if you bought a used network adaptor and it did not come with a start-up disc, do not worry. Every PS2 online game has its own network configuration wizard.

26. Please list everything I need to get my PS2 online.

Dial-up (56k):
-Official Sony Network Adaptor
-PS2 Memory Card (if you don't already have one)
-Internet Service Provider (AOL, Earthlink, etc)
-A nearby phone jack (aka phone outlet)
-Phone Cord

Broadband (Cable or DSL):
-Official Sony Network Adaptor
-PS2 Memory Card (if you don't already have one)
-Internet Service Provider (Comcast, Shaw, Rogers, etc)
-CAT5 (category 5) ethernet cable to connect the PS2 to a DSL/Cable modem or a router.
-Broadband Router (optional but highly recommended)

NOTE: If you have the new slim PlayStation 2, you do not need an official network adaptor!

27. If I have a USB headset, can I make phone calls using a PS2 that is hooked up to the Internet so I can avoid long distance fees?

No, not at this time.

28. I told my ISP that I want my PlayStation 2 to go online and they said I had to pay extra for it! You said it was free!!

It is free. Some ISPs will charge you for each device that accesses the internet because each device that connects at once will usually need its own IP address. It has nothing to do with PS2 online gaming. They will do the same thing if you connect two PCs at once. To get around this, simply purchase a router. This will hide the fact that more than one device is connected to the modem.

29. I connect to the Internet using a satellite on my roof. Can I get my PS2 online with this setup?

Yes, but keep in mind that satellite connections have TERRIBLE upload speeds. Afterall, it has to send data from your house, through the clouds, and into space (or it uses phone lines for uploading). Due to the delay of sending data to satellites in space or using phone lines, satellite connections are not recommended for first-person shooters, racing games, and other fast paced games (including SOCOM 2).

30. I live on a university campus with a very fast connection. Can I play my PS2 online at college?

Maybe, but I don't know how the network at your school is setup. Please contact the network admins at your college.

31. I have a DSL connection of 256Kbps. Is this enough to play SOCOM II?

Yes, you will be able to play, but only with a couple people. 256Kbps is amazingly slow for broadband standards. Luckily, many American providers offer service of at least 1.5Mbps. If you have a large ISP (such as Comcast, Earthlink DSL, SBC, Verizon) but have no idea how fast your connection is, chances are you have a download speed of 3 to 5Mbps, which is definitely enough to handle SOCOM II.

32. How come PS2s in Europe can visit web sites and the ones in North America can't?

I don't know. Maybe legal reasons? Also, Sony Computer Entertainment America and Sony Computer Entertainmetn Europe operate independently of each other, so when something happens overseas (such as a price drop), it doesn't automatically happen in North America.

33. Does the new NetZero 3G work with the PlayStation 2?

It is not compatible, as stated on the official NetZero web site.

- Dial-up

1. I have dial-up, so what do I need to get my PS2 online?

A network adaptor, an Internet Service Provider if you don't already have one (Earthlink is a good dial-up ISP), a PS2 memory card, and a phone cord. Simply connect the phone cord to a telephone wall jack. If the phone jack is far away from your PS2, you can use a phone cord extension, but this can cause you to connect at a slower speed. A direct connection is always best.

After that, simply write down the phone number that your computer dials to connect to your ISP, and your user name and password for your ISP. The start-up disc will ask for this information. Note: If you have the new slim PlayStation 2, you don't need a network adaptor. It is already built-in.

2. I have call waiting. Will this cause problems?

Yes. Disable call waiting when you use your PlayStation 2 online. If you don't, you might get disconnected everytime someone calls while you are playing.

3. Why can't I get my Juno or NetZero account to work?

Free/cheap ISPs such as Juno and NetZero do not work at this time. ISPs such as Juno and Netzero rely on banner ads and special software that MUST be installed on your PC. When you play your PS2 online, there is no way for them to deliver the banner ads to you. Hence, they lose money and there is no way to get the ISP software onto your PS2. NetZero 3G doesn't work either. I suggest subscribing to Earthlink dial-up if you can't afford broadband.

4. Is it possible to play SOCOM with a dial-up connection?

It was possible when SOCOM 1 first came out, but SCEA fixed that exploit. Don't bother trying anyways. The lag would be so high you wouldn't be able to do anything. The net code isn't designed for dial-up. It would be like trying to enter a go-kart into a F-1 race.

5. I have MSN dial-up and I cannot log in! What is the problem?

You must enter "msn/" (without quotations) followed by your user name for it to work during the config process. You must also add "@msn" after your user name. So if you just enter in your user name, it will not connect! (example - msn/[email protected])

6. I keep getting a login error when using my Earthlink dial-up to get online!

If you receive a login error, you must add "eln/" in front of your password (stands for Earthlink Network). In other words, type in those four characters and enter in your password as usual right after it. Thank you to one of our readers for informing me of this. Update: Don't forget to type in your FULL user name. So, add your user name as usual, then add '@earthlink.net' after it. (i.e. [email protected]). Simply putting your ID name alone will not work.

7. Which PS2 games work best with dial-up?

There are too many factors to consider. All of the PlayStation 2 games that allow dial-up CAN ("can" is the keyword here) work fine, but it depends on the connection of the people you are playing with. For example, if you play Madden NFL 2006 against another dial-up user, then the game will most likely play very sluggish. If you play against a person with high-end DSL or a cable modem, then the lag will actually be quite good.

It doesn't matter with simple games like Frequency of Amplitude though. All four Amplitude players could be on dial-up, and the game would still play smoothly.

8. Is it normal for the Network Adaptor to change the function of my PS2's reset button?

Yes. Resetting the system with the network adaptor attached can damage the unit. So it just puts it to sleep instead. Note: You must hold the reset button longer than usual WHILE the Network Adaptor is activated. You should hold it for 6 to 10 seconds before the system will go to sleep. If the Network Adaptor is not in use, then the rest button will function normally.

9. How do I find out if my ISP works with the PS2?

Visit your ISP's web site first. Most of them state if it works with the PS2 or not. If not, call or e-mail them. Don't e-mail me, as I am not a representative for your ISP.

10. When I play my PS2 online and I pick up the phone, how come I hear a lot of static and strange noises?

That happens because your PlayStation 2 is currently using your phone line. If you need to make a call, disconnect from the game. Or consider getting an additional phone line.

11. If I get NetZero High-Speed (also called NetZero Hi-Speed 3G), can I play broadband PS2 games?

No. NetZero 3G is misleading for people who do not read the fine print. It only compresses HTML, JavaScript, JPEG, GIF, and text. In other words, it only speeds up web pages and e-mail. Hence, it will not speed up your PlayStation 2 connection. EarthLink Accelerator does the same thing but it still cannot allow you to join broadband PC or PS2 games.

12. How do I increase the speed that I connect at?

Don't use a phone cord extension. Don't use a line splitter. Don't use a cord longer than 10 feet. Phone cords are not shielded well, so don't have your cord run right next to computer monitors, power supplies, radios, speakers or anything that can cause interference. Don't play your PS2 online during peak hours (usually 5 P.M. to 9 P.M.). Your ISP should have several phone numbers for your city. Try different ones to see if one works better than the other ones. If there is a lot of static on your phone line, complain to your phone company and they should come and check the line for you.

- Broadband and Routers

1. I don't mind removing the ethernet cable from my PC every time I want to play my PS2 online. What should I do?

All you have to do is unplug your DSL or cable modem from its power source (very important!!). Turning it off using the on/off button on the modem typically will NOT work. Remove the ethernet cable from your PC and place it into the Sony Network Adaptor. You will hear a nice small click when you insert the cable correctly. Now, plug your modem back into the power outlet and wait for it to finish doing a self test on itself. Turn the modem on using the power button (if it has one) and insert your network adaptor start-up disc. For most connections, all you have to do is use automatic settings.

If it doesn't work, power cycle your modem again by pushing the reset button in the back. You may need a paper-clip or a pen to reach it. It may take at least 10 minutes for the internet to suddenly start working on your PS2, so keep trying. When you want to use your PC again, just repeat the steps above -- except put the ethernet cable back into the computer.

2. I don't want to disconnect the Ethernet cable from my PC every time I want to use my PS2 online. What should I do?

Your best option is to purchase a router ($40 to $80). In simple terms, a router allows you to connect more than one device to a DSL or cable modem (basically creating a small network). Many consumer routers allow you to connect up to four devices (but routers with eight ports are also available if needed). For example, a router could allow two PCs, one PlayStation 2, and one Xbox share one internet connection. All four devices could even be used at once. If you want another reason to justify the purchase of a router, many of them come with built-in firewalls. In general, these hardware based firewalls provide much more security and protection than software based firewalls.

First, connect everything like how you see it in the picture below. You may need to purchase an additional CAT5 ethernet cable. Make sure the router and DSL or cable modem are turned off. When everything is in place, power on your DSL or cable modem, then your wireless router, then your computer (in that order!). Make sure your PC can access the internet first. From personal experience, it can take up to 10 minutes for my PC internet connection to suddenly start working when my cable modem has been unplugged for an extended period of time. So hit "refresh" every couple minutes, restart your PC if neccessary, and be patient. When your PC can access the net with the router connected, insert the network adpator start-up disc and follow the instructions.

3. Can I use a crossover cable and a PC equipped with two network cards to avoid buying a router?

Yes, this method is called ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). However, this method is recommended for people with above average computer knowledge. First of all, please make sure your PC is running Windows 2000 or Windows XP for best results, although Windows 98 SE will work. You will need a CAT5 ethernet crossover cable. A straight-through CAT5 ethernet cable (which is the same type of cable used to connect your PC to the modem), will not work. If your PC does not have two ethernet cards (also called network cards or "NICs") installed, you will need to go out and buy one. Keep in mind that you will need to open up your computer. If you are not comfortable with this, have someone else install it or go with the router method explain in question #2. Tip: After you install the brand new network card, power on your PC again and make sure it can still access the Net.

Once you have the proper equipment, plug one end of the crossover cable into the PS2 and place the other end into the newly installed network card. The other network card should already have a straigh-through cable going from the PC to the DSL or cable modem. Make sure you are logged in with an admin account before continuing. In Windows XP, goto the start menu -> settings -> network connections. You will see at least two icons. One will say Local Area Connection and the other should say something like 1394 Connection or something similar. If you only see one icon, then the secondary ethernet card was not installed correctly.

Assuming you do have at least two icons, select the icon for your Internet connection. This should be the connection you wish to share. Right-click it, and then click Properties. Click on the advanced tab, and check the box that says to enable Internet Connection Sharing. Click OK. Now go and insert the network adaptor start-up disc in the PS2 and set everything up. Remember to enable DHCP option when the start-up disc asks about it.

If you need more assistance, go to start menu -> help and support. In the search box, type "ICS" and a list of related topics will appear. If you need to forward ports, go back to the menu that allows you to enable/disable ICS. At the bottom, there will be a button that says "settings". Click on that and forward the ports for your game. Remember to leave your computer on when playing your PS2 online!

Please note: I cannot provide technical support for this method. If you run into problems using ICS, please do not e-mail me. Thank you for your understanding.

4. What if my PS2 is located totally on the other side of the house than my DSL/Cable Modem?

Buy a longer Ethernet cable (they can be found at up to 100 feet). If you don't want a long cable moving down the hallway of your house, then consider picking up Nyko's Wireless Net Extender . Logitech also has a similar device called the Logitech Play Link -- visit their site for more info. Not only does it work with PCs and laptops, but it was also designed for the PS2. If you would rather use a wireless router, see the picture below, which is from Sony's web site.

As you can see, a wireless ethernet bridge acts like a receiver for your PlayStation 2. It grabs the packets sent out by your wireless router so that your PS2 can use them. A Nyko Wireless Net Extender works the same way, but it is more likely to work -- assuming you are in range of the siginal. Remember to unplug your wireless router and DSL or cable modem from its power source when setting up your network.

Once you have your wireless ethernet bridge and everything else setup, power on your cable or DSL modem, then your wireless router, then your computer (in that order!). Make sure your PC can access the net before setting up your PS2 for online gaming. From personal experience, it can take up to 10 minutes for my PC internet connection to suddenly start working when my cable modem has been unplugged for an extended period of time. So hit "refresh" every couple minutes, restart your PC if neccessary, and be patient. When your PC can access the net with the router connected, insert the network adpator start-up disc and follow the instructions.

5. Which PS2 games only allow boardband connections to play online?

You can find a list of broadband only PlayStation 2 games from question #14 on this page.

6. My cable modem connects to my PC via USB. Will I still be able to get online since the Network Adapter only uses Ethernet and Dial-up?

Okay, I've been getting this question a lot, so here it goes:

If you don't have a NIC (network interface card) in your PC, you most likely use USB to connect to your cable modem. One way this is possible is through an Ethernet to USB adapter. The guy who came to set-up your modem probably gave you one of these devices (pictured below).

If you locate your Ethernet to USB adapter, simply take out the ethernet portion of the cable and stick it into your PS2 Network Adapter. If the Ethernet Cable is too short you may have to buy a longer one. When you're done, just put it back into the tiny box so that you can use your cable modem again with your PC.

Or, your modem may have BOTH ethernet and USB ports. If so, just use the ethernet port on the modem since it will probably be unused. However, you probably won't be able to use USB and Ethernet at the same time though, but you could give it a try.

Update: One of our readers got their USB DSL modem to work by doing this:

"I used a crossover cable to connect the ps2 to my computer then connected online through my USB dsl modem. Did the autoconnect and everything was fine."

7. I want to connect two PS2's to the Internet at the exact same time using a router. Is this possible?

Like I said, the PlayStation 2 is basically a computer. Each PS2 has its own MAC address, so the router should be able to tell the difference between the two PS2s, and route the correct data to each system. Please keep in mind that residential broadband typically isn't fast enough to support more than two PS2s (due to sub-par upload speeds). However, if you purchased a business broadband plan (you can buy a business plan for your home even if you don't actually have a business) from your ISP, then you could probably fit four to six PS2s on a network without latency issues.

8. I was just wondering if the network adapter will need its own IP address? My cable company said that it will be $10/month more for another IP address other than my computer's.

I'll let a technical representative at Charter Communications explain this one:

"Okay, while setting up your PS2 Network Adapter, it will ask you if you want Automatic (dynamic) or Manual (static) settings. Automatic is for connections that automatically assign you an IP address and DNS information. This setting would be fine for you if you wanted to pay the additional $10/mth. Manual is for connections that need a specific IP, DNS, etc. Cable usually has dynamic IP addresses that are assigned (leased) to them, so most people have the same IP address for a block period of time. The CNR, (Cable Node Registry) on the ISP's end will however release this to be used by someone else after the lease is up. So manually assigning the IP here would be a bad idea."

"But since your ISP wants to charge you extra per month, you probably should purchase a DSL/Cable router to handle your network traffic. This would allow the cable modem to see the MAC address of the router (the one MAC your paying for) and then you could add as many devices behind the router as you wish. The router will assign them a 192.168 series of IP's. Once that is done you will want to statically assign the PS2 NA with the info you receive from the router. This will allow you to bypass the additional $10/mth and yet have both your computer and PS2 connected through the cable modem."

In other words, the router prevents you from using completely different addresses for each device, so you won't have to fork over additional money to your ISP.

9. If I already have cable TV, can't I just use the cable hooked up to my TV to get my PS2 online?

No. Although it uses the same line as cable TV, the cable company has to "turn on" your broadband service to your house. You have to actually subscribe to it.

10. I've been told that I need to release my IP address from my PC before I plug into the Network Adapter. How do I do this?

This isn't really recommended, but here it is anyway. While in Windows XP, go to the start menu and click on "run". Now type "cmd". Type "ipconfig" and hit enter. You may want to write down everything you see here. After that, type "ipconfig /release" and hit enter. Lastly, power cycle the cable modem and set up your Network Adapter. If this doesn't work, call your ISP. Warning: BE CAREFUL. This may cause your PC to stop working with your cable modem, because the IP address has been released from your PC and assigned to your PS2. Type "ipconfig /renew" to obtain a new IP address for your PC. Call your ISP for help if needed. Note: Do not use quotation marks when inputting commands.

11. How exactly do I find my PlayStation 2 MAC Address?

Go to "Edit Network Settings" in SOCOM's online mode. The MAC is listed there. Or put in the Network Adaptor start-up disc and if the network test fails, press select and the MAC address will appear. Update: Install a PS2 HDD and the MAC address can be viewed by pressing the triangle button at the PS2 main menu (the screen that has the DVD version #, etc).

12. Does the network adapter work with T1 connections?

Yes. It can work with T1 and T3.

13. My router has an internal firewall. How do I forward the ports I need to play games online?

Each router is different, but you need to access the router with the PC that is hooked up to it and forward the proper ports. If you threw away the instruction manual, go to your router manufacture's web site and click on support. Search for "port forwarding" and it should give you instructions. Tip: Try updating your firmware before manually forwarding the ports.

14. I have a USB DSL modem. Do I have to shell out $100 again to get a Ethernet DSL modem?

Once again, you need to use a cross over cable from your PC (running Windows 98 SE or higher) to the PS2 Network Adapter. So the USB cable goes from the USB DSL modem to your PC. Then, an ethernet cable comes from the network card in your PC to your PS2 Network Adapter. Leave your computer on and try using automatic settings on the network adaptor start-up disc. You may need to do ICS, which is described in question #3. Note: Some DSL modems have BOTH ethernet and USB ports. Please remember to check.

15. I still cannot get my cable modem to work! What else can I try?

Remember to try power-cycling your cable modem. It is very important!! Simply turn off your cable modem and let it sit for a couple minutes. For some cable modem models, you must unplug the power cable from the wall, because when you use the "off/on" button, the modem is still "on". Connect the ethernet cable from the modem into the network adaptor. Now power on the modem after a couple minutes and hopefully everything will work. If you don't turn off your modem each time, it will still look for your PC because it "thinks" that it is still connected to it. Update: Several people have told me that this indeed helps. Power-cycling is your friend!

16. The program says that I am online, but I couldn't send my registration data to SCEA. What should I do?

According to SCEA, this usually happens to broadband users when you created a Network Configuration file using the manual settings when you should have used the automatic settings. Please edit or create another config file using automatic settings. If you still cannot send your registration, do not worry. It is not required to get online.

17. How do I find out if my ISP works with the PS2?

Visit your ISP's web site first. Most of them mention if it works with the PS2 or not. If not, call or e-mail them. Don't e-mail me, as I am not a representative for your ISP.

18. Can AOL DSL be used to get online?

Yes. Please see this page that AOL has posted. AOL DSL Help

19. Is it possible to go online with my PS2 and PC at the same time?

Yes, you can have one person playing Counter-Strike on the PC and another person playing SOCOM II on the PS2, if you wish. Just use a router. Get one without a firewall if you don't want to waste time opening/forwarding ports and such. If you are concerned with the security of your network, then get one with a firewall, but you'll most likely have to forward some ports. Note: Try updating your router's firmware before forwarding ports. By doing this, the firewall my better understand that the data needed get your PS2 online is not a threat, so it will allow it to pass through.

20. What ports do I need to forward for [insert game title here]?

SOCOM 1, SOCOM II (2), Twisted Metal Black Online, NFL Gameday:
Tell the router to allow TCP Ports: 10070 – 10080 and UDP Ports 6000-6999 to send data and recieve data.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and Tony Hawk's Underground 2:
UDP port 5150.

Frequency and Amplitude:
TCP Ports 10070 – 10080 and UDP Ports 10070 and you need to allow incoming ICMP Echo Reply.

Madden NFL 2003 and 2004:
UDP ports 1791, 1792, 9995 and 9996.

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun:
TCP 13505, TCP 443, UDP 3658/3659, UDP 6000/6001 (for voice chat).

Also, if using a router or a firewall, you MAY want to foreward port 28500 to address 10.14.248.177

Final Fantasy XI:
TCP 25, 80, 110, 443, and 50000 - 65535
UDP 50000 - 65535
TCP 1024 - 65535

Madden NFL 2006 Ports:
HTTP: 80 (outbound only)
HTTPS: 443 (outbound only)
TCP: 13505, 26300-26399 (outbound only)
UDP: 1795, 1797 (inbound and outbound)

GoldenEye Rogue Agent Ports:
Ports 21600-21699 are TCP and are outgoing ports for connecting to the Lobby server.
Port 13505 is TCP and is an outgoing port for connecting to the EA Messenger (buddy list) server.
Ports 3658 & 3659 are UDP and are incoming/outgoing ports for connecting to another user to play a game.
Port 6000 is UDP and is an incoming/outgoing port for connecting to another user for headset use during a game.

To be continued...

21. My SOCOM headset is not working.

Please test the headset out in the single-player mode first. If it works, then you need to forward ports on your router. See question above. If you don't have a router, the host may have a router with a firewall that is preventing everyone from talking.

22. Can I use my satellite internet connection to play my PlayStation 2 online?

Yes, but keep in mind that satellite connections usually have a fast downstream, but they typically have TERRIBLE upload speeds, because they usually use plain telephone lines for uploads. As a result, satellite connections are not recommended for first-person shooters, racing games, and other fast paced games (including SOCOM 2).

23. What are good routers to purchase for my PC and PS2?

This is the wireless router I have: Linksys WRT54G . I've never had a problem with it and I have NEVER had to forward any ports for my PS2 games. Headsets work fine and everything. My PC and PS2 (both can be online at the same time) are connected via wires, but I use the wireless to connect my laptop to the internet all over my house. The wireless range is decent at best, but the firmware can be hacked to increase the range (and also increase the risk of getting brain cancer). Highly recommended.

There is also a version of this router with "SpeedBooster" technology. To be honest, you should only pay extra money for this feature if you plan transferring large files between each device on your network.

Linksys BEFSR41 : This is a nice one if you don't want wireless. The built in NAT may cause problems though.

Other brands to consider: Belkin and D-link

24. My cable modem keeps dropping my connection when I play my PlayStation 2 online. What gives?

If you have a router, try a direct connection to the modem or forward the proper ports. If you have a splitter, try removing the splitter. Personally, I have found splitters to slow down my internet connection and make it very unreliable. Especially when using cheap splitters from RadioShack. If you can't live without your splitter, I recommend paying a little more money and getting a higher quality one. You can also have someone at your cable company make sure that your line is not damaged.

25. How do I get the back-up copy of my game to get pass DNAS?

DNAS is there for a reason. Buy the full game or at least rent it.

- The PlayStation 2 Hard Drive

1. When is the official PlayStation 2 hard drive coming out?

The PS2 hard disk drive came out on March 23, 2004. NOTE: You need an official Sony network adaptor to power the HDD.

2. Why does the Network Adapter have the letters "HDD" printed on it? Did they make a mistake?

No. It simply shows that the Network Adaptor is used with the PS2 HDD. The Network Adapter connects to the HDD and powers it while it is inside the expansion bay.

3. Which games require the hard drive to get online?

The only game is Final Fantasy XI, which takes up a couple gigs on the PS2 HDD when fully installed. All in all, it took me about 1 hour to install Final Fantasy XI on my beta PS2 hard drive -- due to all the data it had to write to the disk. However, the public hard drive that is now out in stores comes with Final Fantasy XI pre-installed.

4. Can I just use any hard drive I have laying around and install it in my PS2?

The HDD Utility Disc (which contains the HDD drivers) only works with the official Sony hard drive. You can't play Final Fantasy XI on a regular drive. Besides, there is no way to get FFXI without the official HDD.

5. I've installed a regular hard drive into the port on my Network Adapter. How can I get my PS2 to recognize it?

The HDD Utility Disc is only supposed to work with the official hard disk drive. If you install a regular IDE hard drive, then it will only work with the unlicensed Sony programs. See quesetion 34 for more info.

6. How much does the hard drive cost?

$89.99 to $99.99, with a storage capacity of 40 GB. It comes with Final Fantasy XI already installed on the drive, a FFXI installation disc (not needed unless you format the drive and start over), a PlayOnline installation disc, along with updated DVD drivers and software. Note: You need an official network adaptor to power the HDD. The network adaptor supplies electricity to the HDD.

7. How difficult is installing the PS2 HDD?

Unlike a PC hard drive, you don't need a screwdriver to install a PS2 HDD. It is very, very easy. In fact, it is nearly impossible to install it incorrectly.

8. I see that SOCOM 2 supports the PS2 HDD. Will I be able to download new content?

Yes, it is possible to download new maps into the hard drive and use them in SOCOM 2.

9. Does the HDD cause the PS2 to make more noise?

You can hear some noises when the HDD powers up, powers down, and when it is being read, but it is easy to ignore. It seems to make the PS2 fan work a little harder though when the hard drive is in use.

10. How fast is the PlayStation 2 HDD?

The maximum transmission speed is 66 MB/sec according the PS2 HDD manual - which is 5400 RPMs. The same speed of a decent laptop drive. In comparison, almost all desktop PCs have hard drives with 7200 RPMs. Some PC hard drives even go up to 10000 RPMs. With that said, 5400 RPMs is fast enough for the PlayStation 2.

11. If my data becomes corrupted or damage, will I have to send the drive back to Sony for repairs?

The utility disk comes with a diagnose and repair program that can repair corrupted data. If it cannot be repaired, the bad data is usually deleted. If your HDD is physically damaged, you can send it to Sony for a replacement. If the data is simply damaged, and cannot be fixed, you're out of luck. If essential file(s) were corrupted, you may need to format the drive again.

Note: Do not move your PS2 for 30 seconds after shutting down the PS2/HDD. Also, NEVER use the main power switch in the back to shutdown when the indicator light is green.

12. Can I place my PlayStation 2 in the vertical position with a HDD installed?

Yes, just be sure to use a vertical stand.

13. Can I recover data once it has been deleted?

No. Not unless you send it to a professional company that specializes in restoring data.

14. Can I defrag my PS2 HDD like I can with my PC hard drive?

Yes. When you delete data on the HDD, it leaves empty clusters (spaces). Over time, data can get jumbled all over the place with empty spaces -- kinda like swiss cheese. You can optimize the HDD by moving data around to fill those empty/incomplete clusters. This can help speed up disk reading speed and help create more free space on the drive.

15. Will the HDD completely replace my PS2 memory card?

Yes and No. Old PS2 software such as Gran Turismo 3 or Grand Theft Auto: Vice City will not recognize the HDD, so you must continue to use a memory card to load and save. However, in the HDD browser, you can copy your game data from the memory card to the HDD or copy memory card files from the HDD to the card if needed. Much like in Microsoft Windows, you can also create, rename, and delete folders to organize your data. I personally use this method so that I don't have to purchase a new memory card or delete any of my game data to make more space.

All newer PS2 games will most likely recognize the HDD, so you'll be able to save there without having to copy from the card. Oddly enough, the PS2 HDD manual says to use the PS2 memory card to back-up data, just in case something goes wrong with the drive. Kinda funny when the puny 8 MB memory card can't hold all that much anyways. Update: It's been over two years since I added this question and answer to the FAQ, and it is still not possible to officially use the hard drive as a memory card.

16. Any chance of an external hard drive?

Outside of Japan? No. External drives are more expensive, and most American consumers think that $99.99 is high enough as it is. It would be more practical for SCEA to concentrate on internal drives. Update: Official external drives are still not available, but there are unofficial drives that can be found on the Internet. Continue reading this guide for more info on external drives.

17. Does the HDD only work with a specific PS2 once it is installed, or can it be used with other PlayStation 2s if I decide to sell it?

It can work on all PlayStation 2s, except the new slimline PlayStation 2s.

18. Can I get a hard drive without Final Fantasy XI so I can pay less than $99?

This is a very common question. The answer is "NO". Note: Final Fantasy XI did not jack up the price of the HDD. Subscription fees pay for it.

19. Tell me more about the PlayOnline service.

PlayOnline is not an Internet Service Provider, but it is very similar to one. With PlayOnline, it is amazingly easy to find new friends (everyone can make his or her own profile), learn when your current friends are online, where he or she are in Final Fantasy XI, etc. You can also send e-mail and join chat rooms (even chat rooms in Japan filled with Japanese gamers). One nice feature is the ability to take a in-game screenshot while in Final Fantasy XI (the screenshot is saved to your HDD), and then going to the PlayOnline e-mail composer, and attaching the FFXI screenshot and sending it to anyone that has an e-mail address. And yes, you can attach more than one image.

Switching between the PlayOline browser and Final Fantasy XI is seemless since both are stored on the hard drive. So no need to switch discs, because you don't need any CDs or DVDs in the PS2 to play Final Fantasy XI!

20. What happens if my parents and I don't have a credit card for Final Fantasy XI subscription fees?

Good question. You can use a debit card. Also, please note that only Visa and Master Cards are accepted.

21. How much does Final Fantasy XI cost to play per month? Why is it not free to play online like other PS2 games?

First month is free and anything after the 30 days is $12.95 per month. The monthly price has nothing to do with Sony or Square Enix being greedy. Pretty much all complex MMORPG have had a monthly price. PC gamers are used to playing a fee to play an online RPG. The monthly price is used to maintain the Final Fantasy XI and PlayOnline servers, and pay the employees responsible for keeping everything running smoothly.

So how come SOCOM II is free? Well, SOCOM's servers probably don't require as much resources to maintain. Final Fantasy XI is a more complex game, and there is no doubt that its servers use more RAM and CPU power than SOCOM II.

22. Can PC and PlayStation 2 gamers play Final Fantasy XI together?

Yes, of course. You can even play with people in Japan. In fact, finding Japanese people running around each town isn't all that difficult...

23. Can you give instructions on how to install the HDD?

No. I know some people are afraid of opening up their expensive electronics, but trust me when I say that installing the PS2 hard drive is very easy and a lot less dangerous than opening up a computer case. Just read the instructions in the HDD manual, and you will be fine.

24. Does Final Fantasy XI support the USB headset?

There is no way it could support a headset.

25. Will I have to worry about cheaters in Final Fantasy XI?

No. Updates are issued regularly. Also, the equipment and gil you have is stored on the server, not on the HDD. "Hacking" the PlayOnline servers is a lot more difficult than hacking your HDD.

26. Does the HDD come with a web browser?

No, not in the North American version.

27. Can I download and store MP3s and movies on my HDD?

No, not at this time. But you can store PS2 games on it. See question 34 for more details.

28. When I cold boot my PS2, it doesn't detect my HDD! What gives?

That usually happens on older PlayStation 2s. Just tap the reset button and it should boot up again and detect it (you may have to do this several times). If not, the HDD is not installed correctly.

29. If I can't store MP3s on the HDD, what about JPEGs?

Yes. All you have to do is send an e-mail with your JPG picture attached to your PlayOnline e-mail account. Open up the e-mail using your PS2, and choose "view files". After that, choose "save". The only problem is that you can't save large files. For example, I tried a 46 KB picture of Yuna, and it was still too big! I then tried a 25 KB file, and it worked fine. Hopefully Square Enix will allow bigger files in a future update.

30. What are the names of all the servers in FFXI?

Alexander, Asura, Bahamut, Bismarck, Caitsith, Carbuncle, Cerberus, Diabolos, Fairy, Fenrir, Garuda, Gilgamesh, Ifrit, Kujata, Lakshmi, Leviathan, Midgardsormr, Odin, Pandemonium, Phoenix, Quetzalcoatl, Ragnarok, Ramuh, Seraph, Shiva, Siren, Sylph, Titan, Unicorn, Valefor. Some servers are more crowded than others, but most of them usually have at least 2,000 to 3,000 people at any given time.

31. How come I can't find my friend in Final Fantasy XI?

You cannot select the server you start on unless you have a world pass. So if you want to play with one of your friends, one of you will need to reach level 10 and purchase a pass.

32. What ports do I need to forward for PlayOnline to work with my router?

TCP 25, 80, 110, 443, and 50000 - 65535
UDP 50000 - 65535
TCP 1024 - 65535 (for the PS2)

33. What is this Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart expansion that I keep hearing about? Do I need to pay extra for it?

No, Rise of the Zilart is included on the PlayStation 2 hard disk drive and it does not require an additional fee.

34. On the Xbox, you can modify it to store Xbox games on the hard drive. Can this be done with the PS2?

Yes, but you need a program called HD Loader ($30-$40, not sold in stores). HD Loader can rip all of the data from a PS2 DVD game and store it onto the HDD (PS One games do not work). The best part is that the game can be booted from the HDD. Since it reads the game completely from the hard drive, the infamous PS2 disc read error will completely vanish. In addition, load times are [usually] greatly decreased. No mod-chips are required to use HD Loader. We have tested the HD Loader and it works great. The bad part is that some PS2 games do not work. Please note: HD Loader is NOT a licensed Sony product. Update: Due to Sony's lawyers, production on the official HD Loader has already stopped. No more will be made. There are several HD Loader clones out there and even some illegal HD Loaders being sold. However, please do not ask me where to find these products. They can be found if you do your own research on Google.

Update: The best alternative to HDloader is HD Advance 2.0. Please do not rip games that you do not actually own.

35. How many games can I store on my PlayStation 2 hard drive?

Depends on the size of the hard drive that you install. Also, some people believe that every PS2 game is the same size, which is NOT true. As a result, it is impossible to give an accurate estimate of how many games you can install on one hard drive. However, a PS2 game can be as small as 600 MB and as large as about 4 GB (such as Xenosaga). If you put a PS2 game into a DVD-ROM drive on a PC, you can get an idea of how big the game is using Windows.

36. Can the HD Loader store MP3s or movies ?

No. It only saves PS2 games.

37. Can the new smaller and slimmer PlayStation 2 support a hard drive?

No, it is way too small to fit inside the unit. Hard drives that normally go inside laptops are too expensive and Sony probably won't release an external hard drive in the U.S. because it would be even more expensive than the internal Sony hard drive. With that said, the new PS2 is great if you don't need a hard drive, which is no big deal because very, very few games make use of it, and with the PS2 life cycle winding down, it probably won't become more popular in upcoming games. Update and Correction: You can use an unofficial external hard drive with the slimline PS2. Search for a product called "USB eXtreme External USB Hard Drive Loader" on your favorite search engine. Please note that we have not tested this product and have no idea how well it works.

A special thanks to the ps2 online guide's creator

0 replies since 24/10/2008, 08:54   2566 views